Zoning Board of Adjustments
The mission of the Zoning Board of Adjustments is to grant variances or special exceptions to the terms of the zoning ordinances that are consistent with the general purpose and intent of the ordinance, and to hear and decide appeals of decisions made by administrative officials.
Membership & OrganizationThe ZBOA has five members with two alternate members who will serve in the absence of regular members. Vacancies are filled by the City Council. Regular meetings are held on the first and third Mondays of each month, as needed, at 7 p.m. at City Hall.
View Zoning Board of Adjustments agendas and minutes here.
Duties & ResponsibilitiesThe ZBOA shall meet to hear and decide on:
- An appeal that alleges error in an order, requirement, decision or determination
- Special exceptions to the terms of zoning ordinances when the ordinance requires the board to do so
- An appeal in specific cases relating to a variance from the terms of a zoning ordinance if the variance is not contrary to public interest and due to special conditions, a literal enforcement of the ordinance would result in unnecessary hardship and so that the spirit of the ordinance is observed and substantial justice is done
Members & Terms
- Jim Hirth, Council Liaison
- Cheryl McClain, Staff Liaison
- Darlene Walker, Place 1, Term ending June 30, 2018
- W. Scott Gilbreath, Place 2, Unexpired term of Carol Carlson, Term ending June 30, 2017
- Herbert Coleman, Place 3, Term ending June 30, 2018
- Mike D. Winterbanks, Place 4, Term ending June 30, 2017
- Lane Beene, Place 5, Term ending June 30, 2017
- Lezo Foley, Alternate 1
- Nellie F. Johnson, Alternate 2, Unexpired term of MJ Sumrall, Term ending June 30, 2017